words: Frank Herbrand
photography: Jvdas Berra + Courtesy of Berghuus
issue 1 – in love with Switzerland
The Berghuus sets standards in terms of design, style and cordiality. The centerpiece is the historic Arvenstube “Ustereia”, which has been preserved in its original form to this day. The restaurant “Steiva” trumps with a cozy fireplace lounge. Not to forget the spacious sun terrace, the dreamy Heidihütte or the cool Schneebar – in the Berghuus everyone has quickly found his favorite place.
The host Fadri Arpagaus cooks for his guests in his Berghuus himself. His career began in 1989 – at the Berghuus. Here, six-year-old Fadri was still stirring his first polenta somewhat clumsily – and acquired a taste for it. Later, as sous-chef and head chef, he moved to Bangkok and Canada and made himself indispensable as a private chef in Europe and the USA.
Then, in the summer of 2019, the path back to the mountains. Homesick. The native of Savognin takes over the traditional Berghuus Radons and accompanies the transformation into a small, fine luxury hostel. Since then, he has shaped the Huus with warmth, passion and his exceptional culinary talent.
Twelve stylish rooms
The Berghuus is home to twelve authentically restored rooms. High-quality old wood construction, heavenly beds, bathtub or rain shower await the guest. And an unbelievable view of the Grisons mountain panorama.
Graubünden and international specialties
Fadri Arpagaus combines classics from the Grisons with international specialties from three continents: Europe, Asia and America. Selected wines are tasted in the Berghuus wine cellar – to be enjoyed in front of the flickering fireplace.
Regional and local ingredients
Fine matured cheese, seasonal vegetables and herbs come from the immediate surroundings or from one of the neighboring valleys. The air-dried ham and the already famous Berghuus Schnaps.
The famous Berghuus schnapps is made from hand-picked pine cones are produced in-house. A small sensation is the Berghuus Wagyu breeding. A cross between Japanese Wagyu cattle and the Swiss Brown breed. The cattle enjoy what they find on their alp: healthy herbs and flowers, lush grasses, fresh spring water from the streams.
“Today nothing must, but everything may”. A perfect motto, we think. Here are just a few of the many possibilities:
– Ski tours – more than 6 ascents with fulminant descents start directly from the Berg-huus.
– Ski & snowshoe – in winter 80 kilometers of slopes, 12 lifts. If you are looking for peace and quiet, you will find it on lonely snowshoe trails (the equipment is available at the Berghuus)
– Relaxation in the sauna – cooling off in our own mountain pond
– Tours with gamekeepers (e.g. “capercaillies for early risers”)
– Star Gazing – be overwhelmed by the power of the mountains and let the glittering starry sky take effect on you
– Full Moon Dinner: the adventure includes a ride on a snowmobile, a regi-onal dinner menu prepared by Fadri Arpagaus and a sleigh ride with torches
– Retreats lasting several days (including yoga)
– Alphorn workshops
Important to know: Even those who simply do nothing at all at the Berghuus go to bed fulfilled in the evening.
The Berghuus is open all year round. For special moments that deserve special places, the Berghuus can also be rented exclusively. “Rent the Berghuus” – why not for a round birthday with your best friends?
© Schön! Switzerland. All rights reserved.